DEPARTMENT: Public Works and Utilities
POSITION: Operations Supervisor
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Utility Services Manager
JOB SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Utility Services Manager, the Operations Supervisor is responsible for oversight of the day-to-day operations activities of Elkhart's three water treatment facilities, 20 MGD wastewater treatment facility and CBU affiliated Operations Team. This position holds a high level of technical difficulty, requiring a broad knowledge background in water and wastewater treatment process design, monitoring and control and leadership skills.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate with analytical laboratory staff for sampling protocols and monitoring in both the water and wastewater sampling programs.
- Coordinate with Maintenance Supervisor on corrective and preventive maintenance work order activities that interface with operational activities.
- Provide direction of day-to-day operational process control strategies, including iron and manganese removals, disinfection, activated sludge, anaerobic digestion and biosolids processing.
- Coordinate activities associated with the formal and timely reporting of operational control data ensure compliance with all permitted activities.
- Prioritize projects involving the replacement equipment, adding new equipment and identifying new technologies to enhance plant performance.
- Develop and monitor operations budgets and trend expenditures.
- Coordinate emergency operational activities such as provide guidance for emergency call-ins, assuring complete and comprehensive communications procedures and follow-up with proper documentation.
- Develop technical specifications for bidding contracts for water and wastewater construction, equipment purchase and installation, service, supplies and chemicals.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify and qualify potential vendors for supplying chemicals, equipment or services for the Utility.
- Identify and qualify potential candidates to join the Operations Team as positions become available.
- Coordinate and lead weekly Operations and Maintenance Team meetings.
- Perform other related duties as required, including cooperative joint efforts with other divisions or departments.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent and Bachelor's degree in Environmental Science, General Science, Biology or Chemistry required.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in the operation of water and wastewater treatment facilities.
- Hold or obtain a WT3 Water and Class IV Wastewater Certification as required by the Employer.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications may be sent to 201 S. Second Street, Elkhart, IN 46516 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
View Full Job Description