Posted: Aug 31, 2017
A recent, but long overdue, external audit has discovered $6.2 million in a county bank account that the financially strapped East Contra Costa Fire District should have received as savings from staff reductions and fire station closures over the past three years.
The revelation, coming after years of station closures, deep budget cuts and failed ballot measures to raise revenue, drew a strong response from state Assemblyman Jim Frazier, D-Oakley, who had been seeking to pass a bill in the Legislature to help the district stay afloat.
- PUB DATE: 8/31/2017 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: East Bay Times
Read more
- 498
- Article rating: No rating
Posted: Aug 31, 2017
This is an immediate request for unused fire/rescue/EMS department or company t-shirts of any and all sizes to be distributed to Texas Firefighters (and their families) who have suffered property losses. The shirts will provide them with something new to wear after losing so much, and it also allows them to wear the logo of those departments, locals, associations and fire companies that were able to help.
- PUB DATE: 8/31/2017 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: FirefighterCloseCalls.com
Read more
- 451
- Article rating: No rating
Posted: Aug 31, 2017
There was never a doubt in Patti Valero's mind that she could overcome the loss of her leg and get back on the job.
After all, the retiring Hillsborough County firefighter had grown accustomed to facing adversity throughout not only her career but her personal life as well.
"I never cried," Valero said in a recent interview with Firehouse.
- PUB DATE: 8/31/2017 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: Firehouse
Read more
- 485
- Article rating: No rating
Posted: Aug 31, 2017
Kittitas County has escalated evacuations in the Middle Fork Teanaway near Cle Elum to a level 3 "Go Now" evacuation.
By Thursday morning, the fire had grown to 7,600 acres.
The Kittitas County Emergency Operations Center said the evacuations come as the Jolly Mountain Fire has moved southeast over Yellow Hill.
- PUB DATE: 8/31/2017 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: komonews.com
Read more
- 572
- Article rating: No rating
Posted: Aug 30, 2017
Police are looking for a gunman after a Charleston ambulance was hit by gunfire Tuesday morning. Charleston Police say medics responded to a call around 2:50 a.m. for a man with leg pain near Central Avenue and Vine Street.
Police say after the ambulance arrived, shots rang out and that the person in need of medical attention ran and took cover. The ambulance also left the scene.
No one was injured in the attack.
"Brazen and reckless and dangerous," Lt. Steve Cooper, Chief of Detectives says. "Shocking that someone like a paramedic ... their sole task is to help people They risk life and limb every day."
Read more
- 496
- Article rating: No rating